Friday, November 8, 2013

Rocks Turned to Meat

Here's what science has to say about why we're here: Around fourteen thousand million years ago the universe spewed out of absolutely nothing ("One quintillionth of a second after the big bang, the universe was infinitely dense and zero in size." --Coming of Age in the Milky Way, Timothy Ferris) and billions of years later molten rocks turned to meat and started thinking. I drew a cartoon of this in our first book The Game of God: Recovering Your True Identity and represented "thinking" as an egghead in a lab coat saying, "There is no God!"

My metaphysics is best summed up in a song I wrote for a friend dying of AIDS. It's called The God Almighty Blues:


God Almighty is the name that you all give to me
But God Almighty isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be
So hush your prayers, complaints and whines and hear my side a bit
I’m gonna tell you why I made a world so full of…it

You all think that being God is really where it’s at
Just lounging on a throne all day while chewing cosmic fat
With fifty trillion angel choirs all singing lavish praise
If you’re like me this scene would drive you nuts within two days

It’s true that all I have to do is give one small command
And there it is, just what I want, and I don’t lift a hand
How ’bout a perfect diamond with each facet light years wide?
No problem! I get what I want as soon as I decide

Limitations don’t exist as long as I am me
But that’s a limitation! It gets boring don’t you see
So I enter amnesia, what you call the universe
In which I savor all those feelings God can never nurse

Like fear and hate and jealousy and worrying ’bout the rent
Like walking up to my new car and finding a big dent!
Like falling oh so deep in love then falling out again
Like knowing that I’m gonna die and fearing how or when

Like having some old bastard ride my ass from nine to five
Like freezing down on skid row begging wine to keep alive
Like giving birth to babies and like starting to grow old
Like chasing after cuties and that rainbow’s pot of gold

So all of you who wonder ’bout the “meaning” of your life
It’s just a way that I can get a taste of toil and strife
By living out a life just like it’s really life or death
I play as many characters as ever drew a breath

Like Oonga in the jungle and like Bill who lives next door
Like Mary Queen of Scots and like old Fred who mops the floor
Like Hitler and like Joan of Arc like Blackbeard on the Main
Like Tom and Dick and Harry and like Einstein and plain Jane

Like Moses on the mountain like the woman at the well
Like Francois and Beethoven like Alexi Ho and Nell
Like Ala and Johannes like Mugobwe Singh and May
Like you and everybody else--just parts I like to play

Yes just for fun I let myself lose my identity
I trap myself in human form then wait to be set free
The pain cries out remember oh remember who you are
Escape this cage of flesh and let your light blaze like a star

So who you think you are is simply me there in disguise
I think you’ll find this makes up for the pain of life: surprise!
Yes God Almighty is the name that you all gave to me
              And life’s my way of passing time...inside eternity

No comments: